4 September 2009

The Drama Queen


An interview with Lilette Dubey

"Theatre is a cultural habit that takes time to develop. It isn't highly developed in India, but spaces like NCPA, Prithvi, Ranga Shankara are big propellants in helping the habit grow."
-- Lilette Dubey

She has been romancing the stage for over three decades, "Thirty-five years, I think, yes, definitely," she says, and has charmed audiences with her screen presence. Lilette Dubey is the lady who has wowed us with both her striking performance and her looks, ageing gracefully as she has.
"I started doing theatre when I was in college. I was in Delhi and I was part of the theatre that was happening in places like Lady Shriram College. I did some, what I would call semi-professional theatre back then. But the bug had bitten me and it has been my most enduring passion," Lilette says.She is bringing her directorial venture, Mahesh Dattani's 'Brief Candle', to town in support of the India Foundation for the Arts on September 6 at Chowdiah Memorial Hall.
Lilette, an actress at heart, became part of the television and film fraternities around ten years back with serials like 'Raahein' and 'Aur Phir Ek Din'. With the films 'Bawandar' and 'Zubeidaa', she had etched an indelible mark in filmdom as well, with around 30 films to her credit.
But Lilette feels that for an actor, there is no other place than theatre. "Film is a very visual medium in which the vision of the director dominates. Also, since it is a commercial medium, a lot of external factors determine how it will turn out." The immediacy with the audience, the freedom of choice and the suspension of disbelief, using which actors can virtually convince the audience of anything, draw Lilette to drama.
The actress says she was drawn to direction because she wanted "full creative licence to do the kind of work I wanted to do". Whether it is experimental theatre or the traditional form, Lilette looks for original content. "The production should be context-driven and I feel the theme should explore relationships at some level," she says. Even Sammy, that was based on Mahatma Gandhi, was more an exploration of his mind, rather than his life, Lilette adds.
She founded a theatre company, the Theatre Action Group, in Delhi. "We wanted to find a distinct voice for Indian theatre in English," she says. The group will turn twenty in early 2011, and Lilette has big plans for the birthday celebration, which includes staging their best and most-loved productions at the end of next year.
Right now, she is deeply absorbed in shooting 'Pankh', being directed by Sudipto Chattopadhyay. "It is a deep, dark and disturbing film and I love being a part of it." She is also busy with "a bunch of other commercial films", including 'I Am 24' whose shoot has recently concluded. She is also planning a new stage production in another seven months and is looking for something fresh for that.
Acting and directing have been done. One would wonder if she will take up the pen next. "I enjoy writing very much, and my writing will have to be fiction. Honestly, I've never thought of writing a play because it is a very complex craft. The simplest play, I would think, is more complex than the most interesting film. But yes, I have contemplated direction in films," Lilette replies. The fans will surely be waiting for that.

No comments: