25 March 2010

Mrs Goody Two Shoes XXX

The day the driver drove me nuts

You know the times when you employ someone’s services? And then end up asking yourself why you ever did it?

I was sitting at the edge of the bed, trying not to slip and fall. I had nudged and pushed the clothes and books aside to create just enough space for me. As I sat there sorting out the pile, humming to myself, I heard a creak and a groan. I slowly looked up, and saw the mountain of clothes falling over me. Before I could run for my dear delicate life, I fell on the floor, submerged under a huge heap and gasping for breath. My arms flailing, I tried to call for help but the more I tried, the more the clothes seemed to weigh down upon me. It grew darker around me and I could hear or see nothing. Then it felt like I was being pelted with bricks. I wanted to scream, my throat was dry. Who would want to throw bricks at me in my own home? With the last remaining shreds of sanity that I had left, I realized those were the books pouring down on me. I lost my strength, and just lay there, sweating and out of breath.
After a little while I woke up from this nightmare, still sweating, only to find the mound clothes and books still intact, with me lying on the floor. Must’ve slept off, I though to myself and then moaned. Still so much work left! We were moving houses, not miles away but to a better (a.k.a. more expensive) flat in the same complex. But things had to be packed nevertheless. The movers and packers were on their way. Or so they were telling me from ten in the morning. The clock had ticked to one and there was no sign of them. I kept calling them, and explaining the directions, but somehow, these talented folks had mastered the art of losing their way. Madam, we are at CV Raman Nagar, they would say and I patiently sketched with my words the next seven kilometers for them. After 20 minutes, my phone rang again and I heard the same droning voice telling me they had managed to travel seven kilometers all right, in the opposite direction.
And yet, the gooey politeness from my voice refused to disappear. I spoke to the driver as if I was speaking to a kindergarten kid who is a slow learner and needs my love and support. “Don’t worry,” I told him. What was I saying? Why would HE have to worry? I was the one stuck! “Just stop for a while and ask somebody the way to Fraser Town. Once you reach Fraser Town, call me and I will tell you the directions.” Yes madam, he said every time I gave him some instruction. And then calmly did his own thing, which was to ignore it and get lost. Worse, half the time he could not even tell me where he was.
So finally, when they did give me a landmark, I went to pick them up. Yes, I took an auto, paid one-and-a-half in the afternoon, went to the place, hopped on to the truck with the packers and came home. Guess what I did when we reached. I made tea and toast for them and served them in my drawing room! Well, it was three in the afternoon after all. And then the driver tells me, “What madam, where you staying? Whole day going round. Give me 150 rupees at least.”

[NOTE: Don't get excited by the 'XXX' in the title]

2 comments:

sup said...

Some how I ended up in this blog of yours. After reading, I was wondering why the name "Mrs Goody Two Shoes XXX" - and then I read "Mrs Goody Two Shoes XXIX" and finally I discovered the common theme (if once can discover common theme by reading two posts) that XXX and XxIX are numerals and "Mrs Goody" is you and you are Mrs Goody since in these posts you are doing good deeds to people who are giving u trouble. "Aach so". - I said to myself.. I guess if I browse further I will find more "goody shoes". Let me see (browse) - Got it - "Columns". If I may say, Keep up the GOOD work :p

Jus a query - in "Mrs Goody Two Shoes XXIX", you used the names of your friend - I guess you wanted them to read the post - right? :)

Unknown said...

Hi,
Sorry for replying so late. Wasn't being regular with the columns! Thanks for appreciating the column.
Yes, all the Goody Two SHoes entries are sort of a series. But I will leave you to guess how much of the blogs is completely autobiographical, and how much has been coloured by imagination and creative urges.
I just hope you keep enjoyng the read :)